Two police officers (not Long Island police officers) recently released a list of the 5 ways they believe can help you avoid a ticket when you get pulled over.
Now, there’s no guarantee any of these will work, but the two cops say they are your best chance at avoiding any trouble. Worth a shot, right?!
1. Put your turn signal on as soon as possible, even if there’s nowhere to pull over. That way they know you’re at least trying to. But if they turn their lights AND their siren on, it means they think it’s a good place to stop, so pull over right away.
2. Kiss up to them BEFORE they go to their car to run your info. That’s usually when they decide whether or not to give you a ticket. And once they write one, they can’t take it back. Writing a ticket and then ripping it up only happens in movies.
3. Don’t be short with them, but don’t talk too much either. They might get suspicious if you give a one-word answer to every question. But they might just get annoying if you start rambling too much.
4. Try to make them laugh. Which sounds a little risky, but apparently it works. We’re assuming a bad joke has the opposite effect though. So don’t force it.
5. Mentioning that you know a cop DOES work sometimes. So if you can work it into the conversation, go for it. Or if you were in the military or someone in your family is, that might work too.